The times they are achangin'.
Here comes a big generalization since American society is hardly consistent or homogeneous but we are less patriarchal than at any time in western civilization's recorded history. Women are entrepreneurs, CEOs, scientists, politicians, techies, creatives, warriors, mothers, partners, and wives.
Yes the times are achangin'.
- Men still outnumber women in power roles.
- The wage gap is embarrassing.
- Some men -- mostly old white men -- still try somewhat successfully to exercise control over women's bodies and reproductive rights.
- Women are far more likely to be victims of sexual harassment or attack in the workforce and on our college campuses.
- Single parent homes are more likely to be run by a woman.
- And don't even get me started on what it must be like to be a woman in some other cultures.
It's easier to be a man. And I've never wanted to trade places.